Protect Your Firefighters With Clean Turnout Gear
Keeping turnout gear clean is critical to the health and safety of your team. Constant exposure to dangerous chemicals, smoke, biological toxins and other hazards requires proper maintenance to not only enhance the longevity and integrity of the gear but ensure the maximum protection of your firefighters. Lakeside Laundry Equipment provides turnout gear washers and fire gear dryers for firefighters and fire departments alike. Contact us at 800-628-2588 to find the right equipment for your station.
Your Source for High-Quality Washer Extractors and Gear Dryers
- Our turnout gear washers and dryers are backed by an exceptional warranty.
- Use our equipment to clean and maintain your turnout gear in a safe and efficient manner.
- Our expertise, professionalism and attention to detail offer the best assurance for your continued success.
Easily Clean Your Gear With a Washer Extractor
The proper decontamination of soiled gear is the key to limiting your team’s exposure to life-threatening chemicals, biological agents and particulate matter. Turnout gear, or bunker gear, is expensive and should be washed carefully to prevent damage. Dirty gear not only carries less insulation but is more likely to conduct heat and electricity, lacks liquid shedding properties and can become potentially flammable.
Turnout gear is best washed in a front-loading washer extractor. It limits the damage caused by top-loading machine agitators. When machine washing, follow these guidelines:
- Pre-treat the gear if necessary.
- Fasten all closures, including pocket closures, hook and loop, snaps, zippers and hooks and dees.
- Do not overload the machine.
- Turn the garment inside out and place in a mesh laundry bag.
- Wash temperature should not exceed 105 degrees.
- Run one complete cycle, rinsing at least twice.
- Inspect and rewash if necessary.
Discover How Simple Drying Personal Protective Equipment Can Be
Properly drying bunker gear, is just as important as washing it. Since turnout gear is thick and bulky, the drying process is slow. Getting washed gear dry as quickly as possible is important because:
- Wearing wet gear can cause steam burns.
- Storing wet or moist gear promotes the growth of mildew and bacteria, which can lead to health concerns and weaken gear.
Even though rated for high-temperature use, machine drying turnout gear at high settings can cause damage to the protective garments. As a result, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends that fire departments dry their gear using forced ambient air rather than using a traditional tumble dryer. A fire gear dryer thoroughly dries hard-to-reach areas of turnout gear, ensuring it’s completely dry before storing.
When looking at your turnout gear dryer options, make sure the dryer meets or exceeds the requirements of NFPA 1851: Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Structural Fire Fighting Protective Ensembles. Those requirements are as follows:
- The system uses forced air ventilation.
- The system operates with or without heated air.
- Heated air does not reach gear-degrading temperatures.
- There’s a built-in heater cutoff protection or shut-off timer.
- There’s no mechanical action, such as tumbling, that can damage gear.
NFPA 1851 is an important standard to understand and implement in your department.
Turnout Gear Washers and Drying Cabinets Available Through the AFG Program
The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) is a federal grant program of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) intended to help strengthen the response capabilities of fire departments and emergency medical service organizations.
Since 2001, AFG has aided firefighters and other first responders in obtaining critically needed equipment, emergency vehicles, protective gear, training and other resources required for not only protecting the health and safety of the public, but also that of firefighting personnel facing fire and fire-related hazards.
Fire departments can use the AFG grant to buy turnout gear washers and dryers from Lakeside Laundry Equipment. In fact, we’re happy to provide grant assistance. To apply for an AFG grant, click here.
A Team of Experts You Can Rely On
Maintaining turnout gear is critical to firefighter safety. Through our industry knowledge and vast experience, we can help keep your bunker gear clean and safe from dangerous chemicals, smoke, biological toxins and other hazards. Contact us to learn more about our turnout gear washers and dryers. You can count on our team of experts to find you the right equipment for your station.